FerrumKix: a lightweight audio player, CD ripper, tagger, converter and Lyrion client for Linux

Hi everyone,

since FerrumPix has received such a nice response here, I thought I’d also introduce another small project of mine: FerrumKix.

I know there is certainly no shortage of audio players for Linux, but FerrumKix takes a slightly different all-in-one approach. Besides being a lightweight music player, it includes an integrated CD player and ripper, tag editor and audio converter, as well as a Lyrion Music Server client and remote control.

So the idea is similar in spirit to FerrumPix: rather than needing several separate tools for common tasks, I wanted to bring the things I regularly use together in one application.

I’m not trying to replace every specialised music application out there, but perhaps some of you will find this approach useful or interesting.

The screenshots in the repository are currently in German (sorry about that) but FerrumKix itself supports multiple languages, including English.

GitHub: Bitpainter75/FerrumKix

Feedback is of course very welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

Patrick

5 Likes

Testing it :slight_smile:
It works really well. Are you also targeting the professional user or is this player targeted at pure home use ?

1 Like

Thanks for trying it!

FerrumKix is mainly aimed at home users and people who manage their own music collection. I wanted something simple for listening, ripping CDs, fixing tags, converting files and, in my case, also working with a Lyrion server without needing several different applications.

2 Likes

Nice choice in music with Blind Guardian :sign_of_the_horns:

3 Likes

I see that FerrumKix can display albumcovers. Often a separate jpg is used for that.

Does FerrumKix search for a specific named file like ‘cover.jpg’ in the albumdirectory or does it search in the mp3/flac/whatever file itself ?

3 Likes

It only shows the cover art embedded in the audio file.

4 Likes