Welcome! Please introduce yourself

A post was merged into an existing topic: How to build a Home lab

Ok great. Yes, still relevant. The post is 3 or 4 years old but yes I updated it around 6 months ago.

1 Like

I appreciate that Hayden! :smile:

2 Likes

Hi, I am Matthew Bryan
I am by trade a Computer Aided Drafting & Design Expert. I have been using AutoCAD based software since its Release as R14.
I’ve been interested in learning Linux and C++ for years now and decided to take the plunge.
-Also contemplating developing a Linux based CAD software.

I am a complete novice, so assistance is definitely welcome!

1 Like

Welcome to the community. Awesome to have you join us. Have a look around and make yourself at home.

Hi, my name is Jordan and I’m quite a beginner. Apple Basic in the '80s, built my own PCs / OS on Laptops, XP to 10, Linux Mint, Macbooks, Attempts to make Pinephone (not pro) work on div. Distros… RPi 3B+.
My minimal knowledge of Linux command structure and modern programming (Python?) keeps me a bit blocked.
Looking forward to what I might learn here!
Grüße from Germany

1 Like

Nice to meet you @farmerjem :handshake: Honored to have you join our community. Check out some of our community participation threads:

Greetings, It’s me Halano using linux since 2020
actually using linux because it’s the only operating system I can trusted :

• open source
  • Anti-spyware
  • powerful
  • fast
  • get the job done
  • Helpful community
    Nice to meet you all
1 Like

HI @Halano great to have you join us. Welcome!

1 Like

Greetings fellow Linux enthusiasts,

Hey everyone, I’m thrilled to be part of this vibrant Linux community! I’m a 57-year-old from the beautiful state of Colorado, and my Linux journey officially kicked off last year. Why, you might ask? Well, I’m on a mission to become an ethical hacker. Despite having limited time to dive into the Linux world, I’ve made significant progress, and the learning experience has been nothing short of exhilarating.

Interestingly, my initial goals for mastering Linux have evolved. Inspired by the flexibility and power of Linux, I’ve found myself cultivating a business idea. It’s amazing how the open-source philosophy and the world of Linux can ignite entrepreneurial sparks. I’m here to share my experiences, seek guidance, and connect with like-minded individuals on this exciting Linux adventure.

Looking forward to engaging with all of you and contributing to the Linux community!

Cheers,
Bill (Warloxian)

2 Likes

Welcome Bill! @Warloxian81503 :handshake:

Thrilled to have you join us! Your journey into Linux and ethical hacking is fascinating and shows it’s never too late to dive into new adventures. Looking forward to your insights and stories as we all navigate this exciting world together. Cheers to your Linux journey! :beers:

Welcome! This is a great community!

1 Like

Welcome. Great to have all these new members.

Hi all. I'm Steve, call sign 'Marmot31'. Been using Unix and Linux since the early 70s.
Never have liked any others. I'm a writer now that I have retired not only from the navy
but engineering in general. Love you guys that never gave into the temptations of the
'Engulf and Devour' types of our world. Still use the tools, though most are geared
toward writing my online scifi books nowadays and not admin anymore. Take care.

3 Likes

Hi Steve @superuser1955

Welcome to the community. Have a look around looking forward to sharing and learning with you.

Hi there, I am Shortie and I have been using Linux since around 2019 but I was aware of the OS before that. I have been using Linux on my older laptop for quite a few years and I am surprised at how well it runs and how easy it is to use.

I am looking forward to learning more about Linux and hopefully helping others too!

1 Like

Hello everybody,Carson20t here.
I am so glad to join such a wonderful community.For a very long time i have procastinated to improve my programming and cyber security skills.I have always relied on others whenever i need to some help in that regard.BUt now i have been compelled not only becasue i am herding a protype that needs me to have some good knowledge but because the passion has grown beyond measure as well.
One of the advantages of using Linux for programming is that it’s an open-source operating system, meaning you can alter its source code to your specifications. This enables you to optimize it for your particular workflow and personalize your development environment. The fact that Linux is compatible with a large number of programming languages is another fantastic feature.

I am looking forward to learning a lot from this group and the project we are prototyping to become a reality.

1 Like

Hey @Carson20t , welcome aboard! It’s wonderful that you’re diving into improving your programming and cybersecurity skills.

You’re right on point about Linux’s benefits; its open-source nature and compatibility with numerous programming languages make it a solid choice for developers.

If you’ve got the passion, you’re more than halfway there. Looking forward to seeing your prototype take shape and hearing about your journey. Dive into the discussions, ask questions, and share your progress. We’re all here to support each other!

1 Like

Hello I’m Bill from Urbana IL, I’ve been using Linux for about 10 years. Starting with Mint then MX and then fooling with Zorin.
I like ease of use plus free for my small business, also works well on older machines.
Most recently l have been building a few machines just for fun in retirement. So, I am now trying to learn what I should have at the start. But I am also, using numerous distros, Mint, MX, Zorin PRO, Sparky, Ubuntu Studio, Big Linux, Just having some Fun!

1 Like

This resonates with me. I probably won’t retire in a while but when I do, I want to be busy busy busy. Invested in the things I enjoy doing… Linux, switching and routing, hardware, etc.

Welcome to our community!