I was once told by a developer, that he vibe coded a popular web app service so that he could get similar functionality but to use it internally. A few questions popped into my mind, was it legal, was it ethical. Supposed I was on the wrong end of such a build. If I spent a considerable amount of time building software and a web interface, and then someone comes and creates an AI clone to undercut my work, how would I feel?
Granted, we understand that open source software is based on a different concept to proprietary ideas. I love the concept of the open source community, build software that anyone else can build on and use to the betterment of mankind. However, I couldn’t help but thinking about that fine line between trying to improve community software and, for lack of a better word, stealing that software.
And this brings me to ArtCraft. I love the concept of applications like GIMP, LibreOffice and recently Affinity. I know Affinity is still proprietary software, but I include it because it has similar functionality to Adobe Software. These software allow you to do some if not most of the functionality of Adobe Software, but in their unique way. And I am very comfortable with that. ArtCraft I would admit gives me a bit of a pause.
The goal of starting off it’s software by exactly cloning the interface of Adobe, and soon Microsoft Office, has me on the edge of a decision as it were. Personally, I think I would wait a few weeks to see if Adobe would try to stop them, of if they would be let loose. I won’t deny, having a Linux version of these software is sweet. I think I even saw a plan for Microsoft Publisher which Microsoft just discontinued. But there is still that pause. The anology that comes to mind is like building an AI clone of someone else’s spouse. ![]()
So what are your thoughts on this interesting development?