What do you think about LibreWolf?

What do you think about LibreWolf? Is it trustworthy enough for using it to login into banks and sensitive accounts (like email)?

Because many people recommended me exactly LibreWolf…

Anyone here using it? What do you think?

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @Jordan.cc, thanks for joining us! :handshake:

1 Like

While LibreWolf is a fork of Firefox, @tkn has recommended it as a better choice for security reasons.

3 Likes

It’s good and faster than firefox plus no telemetry,
I was using it year ago ,now I’m on helium browser (chromium)

3 Likes

Just yesterday, I was checking out different browsers and noticed that people were talking a lot about Libre Wolf… I wasn’t really familiar with it, and I agree with what Eric says, it works well in terms of security.
Right now, I’m using Brave :lion:

4 Likes

I’d say LibreWolf is definitely more trustworthy than Brave, considered LW is a privacy-focused fork of Firefox. I’d even choose Firefox over Brave, to be honest.

Brave has a history of dodgy practices, including injecting their own referrals into crypto links, ads in home screens, shipping an insecure (and broken) Tor implementation, selling copyrighted content for AI and not telling website owners. I found this post to be pretty good as well. Unfortunately it seems the CEO also has anti-LGBTQ views and gives money to organisations aiming to strip migrants of their rights. I just cannot support this browser or company in any capacity.

6 Likes

Good choice :+1:

Librewolf is a fork of firefox focused on security and privacy.

I use Librewolf for logging into my bank, logging into work and sites that are known to be ‘difficult’.

In my opinion it is the best choice: Contrary to firefox it comes with sane and secure settings out of the box and has default already “uBlock Origin” (crapware blocker) installed.

In my experience it is the browser with the least annoyances.

(My other browser is Brave, which I operate behind a dns-crypt proxy with extensive filtering which can be problematic sometimes on some sites but a blessing on others)

5 Likes

I use it for all my sensitive information and accounts but only that. I have it set up so it never saves history or any passwords. I have never had any trouble with it and trust it.

4 Likes

Andreas, it wasn’t clear to me, from the above, which you were referring to: LibreWolf or Brave?

2 Likes

Sorry Eric for the confusion, I was referring to Brave in that tirade.

4 Likes

Greetings and welcome to our friendly forum @Jordan.cc !

As a few others have already stated, LibreWolf is based on the Firefox Web Browser with additional security-based default settings, so as long as your financial institution supports or allows you in when using LibreWolf I would indeed recommend it.

Even if they DON’T, there are ways to alter the ident string in the browser to make it LOOK like a supported browser, so 1) it’s secure, and 2) even if there are problems with the bank “knowing” the browser by identification, it is possible to work around this; hopefully that will NOT be necessary!

Regarding the comments from @tkn I endorse these, but offer YET another alternative, and a few distributors are BEGINNING to package this one; otherwise it’s downloadable in several formats: Ungoogled Chromium.

4 Likes

I use both Arkenfox (hardened Firefox) and LibreWolf. It was my understanding that LibreWolf was basically Firefox with the Arkenfox hardening and uBlock Origin preinstalled.

If you have security concerns about a small project like LibreWolf, consider Firefox with Arkenfox and uBlock Origin. It is slightly more work, but you can fine tune things as you wish.

6 Likes

I found that Firefox with DuckDuckGo is good enough for me. I use Chromium for all Google and sign-in related things, and Firefox for things that I want to keep completely anonymous.

LibreWolf is not bad in my opinion. It just doesn’t really fit my needs as well as Chromium and Firefox paired do.

I am not trying to stop you. By all means, find what you like. This is just my experience and preference.

4 Likes

I’m with you! What this entire ecosystem is about is choices and alternatives. We have it in appearance, Web browser choices, different package managers, customized system kernels from a variety of sources, and of course different appearance. All of it adds up to a huge variety of different options from which we can pick and choose. Of course once that’s done, we can customize and alter our systems to suit our interests and whims at any time!

2 Likes

I LOVE LibreWolf, but I hate that it’s so protective that it won’t show the correct time in my emails and discord. So far I’ve found no way to fix that, so I’ve switched back to Firefox.

3 Likes

Could you please clarify what you mean by

Thank you.

1 Like

When I open the tabs for my email or discord, the times that show do not show the correct local time, it will show the GMT instead. That makes it very confusing when you receive an email from someone and you have to go through mental gymnastics to convert the time shown with your actual time.

3 Likes

I appreciate that; I manage those date and time features myself so I have mine set up to recognize EST5/EDT4 - Eastern Standard Time and Eastern Daylight Saving Time!
(Saves me time now that they are configured on all of my browsers, including LibreWolf!)

2 Likes

You may have to share how you did that. I tried tinkering around with the about:config, but couldn’t get the correct time to show up.

1 Like

Apparently, Firefox should inherit the correct EST/EDT from the OS, where and when it is configured.

If the browser persists in reporting GMT, that is due to a Privacy setting, related to fingerprinting. The change that is required is

  • privacy.resistFingerprinting      from true      to false

If that is “a bridge too far” for you, you can consider using a Timezone Spoofer, like

2 Likes