Welcome! Please introduce yourself

Hi, @hero_hoang Honored to meet you and to be able to connect. Prior to these forums, all communications were 99% one-directional. Feel free to post in the forums or reach out to me directly any time. Great to meet you! :handshake:

Nice to meet you @hero_hoang ! Welcome :slight_smile:

Hello to All
I am Davud from Mexico, I just started this great journey, a couple of minths ago I got a new computer that uses Linux and from there I began to get intetrst on computing stuff

2 Likes

Welcome @DVDLCO honored to have you here!

Check out the threads in the forums, feel free to bump any.

1 Like

Good morning my name is Wisner I am new to Linux I use windows as an operating system before. I want to get good at cybersecurity all the experts say Linux is the way to cybersecurity. I want to learn more about Linux.

2 Likes

Hi @Wdorce1,

Have a look at the the discussion here:

Some related tips can be found here:

Thanks for joining us. :handshake:

Hi everyone!

Found this on the homelab subreddit. I’m a fairly new to the field software developer who is getting into homelab stuff somewhat seriously now. Learning about that and Linux have been a lot of fun (and learning!)

1 Like

Thanks for joining! :handshake: @Harbinger Let us know if you have any questions and share you home lab project if/when the time comes.

Hi my name is Phil, I am now retired but have been using Linux constantly since late 1990’s starting with CD packages for Mandrake but becoming firmly settled once Ubuntu hit the ground. Things have really smoothed out in recent years. I utilise Windows very rarely mainly to access specific Windows program which gives me good connections to Genealogy Websites. I still use Gramps in Linux but that I use mainly for various Reports it offers. I thoroughly enjoy Libreoffice and have gradually managed to begin to try mastering Macros in Calc especially. I do love spreadsheets and databases. I used to have a small Shareware Business for a few years ago called HillSoft which I sold when I found it was hard to keep up with all my then work and my business as well. I thoroughly love Linux and recommend it to just about anyone who complains about their current OS. I used to build PC’s for friends and others and help with using computers and various software for many years and found it extremely interesting. Nowadays I utilise Genealogy as my activity when I am trying to overcome pain or sickness as it is a good way to exercise the mind and take it off pain etc. Extremely interesting what one can find out about friends and family as you go through various topics. Outside of Genealogy myself and my wife have both got an interest in Australian Native Orchids (the Native Orchids found in the bush as opposed to the ones from Nurseries) and we endeavour to spend a lot of our time in the bush photographing heaps of them. I am very pleased with the software available under Linux for Photography and mostly use OpenSource programs but also buy anything that I can buy which is good value for its price and abilities. One of those is Aftershot Pro which was originally open source and called Bibble. Looking forward to finding out new interests from this site and hope to discover new areas to checkout with Linux software.
…Phil (I show as Hilly53)

1 Like

Hi @Hilly53 :handshake:

Welcome to our Linux and IT forums! It’s great to have you here, especially with your extensive experience and passion for Linux.You’ve been a dedicated Linux user for quite some time. Linux has indeed come a long way!

Your background in building PCs, helping others with computers and software, and business experience would surely be valuable assets to our community. We have a diverse group of members here who are also passionate about Linux, open-source software, and IT in general. There are 2000+ registered forum members, most are lurkers but we are slowly becoming more active.

Genealogy is a fascinating hobby. Exploring your family’s history can be a rewarding and intellectually stimulating journey. I’m actually trying to trace my portugese family roots for the past month.

We look forward to your contributions and insights in the forums. Feel free to ask questions, share your experiences, or explore new areas of interest with fellow Linux enthusiasts. Once again, welcome to the community!

Hi my name Margo(aka Margaret)
I’m former IT Consultant (jack of all trades mastered none)retired that enjoys learning new things and Linux is at the top of my list. I’m making a permanent breaking from Microsoft’s windows especially with them supposedly moving 2 a subscription base for Windows 12. My goal is before 2023 is gone dual boot with Linux Mint & Windows7 on external hard drive + be able to boot both successfully. With many health challenges may or may not be possible but I going give it a try. I want to take on cybersecurity training so think I will need a safe & secure to keep learning from in the future.

1 Like

Welcome Margaret! :handshake:

@bm_darden your interest in Linux and cybersecurity is fantastic.

Transitioning from Windows to Linux Mint on an external drive is achievable, and this community is here to support you. Feel free to ask any questions or seek guidance as you embark on this journey.

With your IT background, you’ll adapt quickly. Best of luck with your goals, and don’t hesitate to share your experiences with us.

Looking at everyones posts makes me realize how much I dont know.
these labs are well they are somethig else.That was mainly my background in IT, and That is where this all begins part 2.
I worked in Network administration office automation. We mainly would come in and Set up file serves email servers I even setup a paging server thought I was pretty good thats How I got the Idea that I would have a jump on things because well You no I was in IT, I boy was I wrong !That was like
20 years ago and I have up down spent 2 months just trying to get a Kali box up and going with no one to turn to for advice well because I did come in from IT.
Wow what a field. Well home lab hasnt gotten much bigger and better than it was but I can run Meta2 vic and that Kali box for 3 or 4 exploits before my HP Strean 14 is outta of memory. I came back in outtta retirement for this
but I think it will pay of for a man in his early 50s Ive been to a couple CEH bootcamps and Should be ready to test soon. Well we will see.
I sure hope tp contribute soon but by the looks of things it will be awhile.what ever they wanted we would do it then move on to the next site.ANother mistake was thinkng that since I could write batch files in ms dos 6 getting a hanle on linux would be to for from my realm of thinking. Wow you no how wrong I was about that.
Well im glad to be here with everyone and I rellly appreciate the invite.

2 Likes

@dbw304 Welcome to the community! :handshake:

It’s clear that your IT background brings valuable experience. Don’t be discouraged by the learning curve; the tech world evolves rapidly.

Your determination to explore Kali Linux and pursue a CEH certification is commendable.

We’re here to support you on this journey. As you dive into Linux, remember that many resources are available to help bridge the knowledge gap.

Your contributions, once you’re ready, will be appreciated. Visiting your forum profile I can see you have done quite a bit of reading already. I’m confident you will progress really fast! :sunglasses:

Welcome! @dbw304 and others.

Hi,
My name is Frederick. I live in the Province of Quebec, Canada. I found this forum looking for the next Linux distribution I want to install. I am looking for something more stable than Kali or ParrotOS for long-term usage (Planning to set up a home lab for training networking and a Web development project).
I’m currently studying cybersecurity (1 year in) hoping to change my professional path. While training mostly in ethical hacking, I am getting more and more into programming (Python and SQL). I’m self-taught but I’m motivated and computer-related subjects are always fascinating to me.
Before committing to a career change, I was really deep into 3D Printing. I still have a couple of machines set up and ready to go when needed.
I think I will stop now. Don’t want to leave a giant wall of text for my 1st post…

1 Like

@TheRealFREDP3D A pleasure to meet you Frederick! :handshake:

1 Like

Welcome! Bienvenido!

4 Likes

Hey Pat. Given your rich experience have you found any cool ways to integrate your tech skills with your artistic interests?

1 Like

Leibe wir,

I am pleased to join this community and here is my little workabout: Highly motivated and skilled personnel actively working across Bioinformatics, Data Science and Analytics, Machine and Deep Learning. My areas of focus are Bioinformatics, DataScience and Analytics, Machine and Deep Learning. I use Python, R, Shell, Nu, Hashicorp, Ruby, Awk, Crystal. I am coding both in R and Python shiny application and also use rust based nushell programming for many aspects from data exploration to datascience and bioinformatics. Skilled in both pbs and slurm based high performance computing clusters, devops management and computing clusters and uses git, docker and kubernetes for container orchestration.

I am skilled in bash and other linux. I programmed in C previously for many applications but stopped programming in C since more than last two years. You can find my Linux and bash related source code at sablokgaurav (Gaurav Sablok) · GitHub

I am joining Germany soon and shall be detailing more.

Thank you,
Gaurav

4 Likes