Recovery from failed boot - systemd-modules-load.service

Thought I would share a scary experience that I went thru in the last couple of days.

I am not a systemd guru, so I was scared out of my wits when this happened to me, even though I never modified my system!

When I booted, I got a message that included the following:

... (preample comments and guidance) ...
... failed to start load systemd_modules_load.service
... (offer to enter maintenance mode or perform other task) ...

I attempted the reboot 4-5 times, each time trying the maintenance mode to dig around a bit and to review the logs with journalctl -xb as was suggested, but I wasn’t spotting the issue or not grasping what I was dealing with. :frowning:

After booting from my alternate test disk (xubuntu), I used GParted to perform an fsck on my proper ROOT partition on my main drive, but that did not show any repair action.

I nonetheless attempted a boot from the main drive and still got that boot failure. It again offered maintenance mode, so I entered that and did the fsck using a manual command-line form, and still got not indication of error correction.

I let my instincts about tasks performed during other test installs guide me and I did the following:

sudo update-initramfs

sudo update-grub

# restored from backup
bkpIMAGE="/site/DB006_F8/DB001_F1"
restoreROOT="/site/DB001_F1"      # which is / on main OS disk when it boots correctly
( cd ${bkpIMAGE} ; sudo tar cf - etc usr/bin | ( cd ${restoreROOT} ; sudo tar xvpf - ) )

sudo sync
sudo reboot

That, thankfully, gave my primary system back in functional state.

Don’t know if there was a simpler more elegant way of doing it, but that did it for me.

Hope it helps someone else who faces the same situation.

:cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes