Apparently that has been the issue.
I dumped Ubuntu back in 2014 after using it for ten years because of the direction it seemed to be taking. Great in the beginning, until it started feeling too corporate for my liking. Haven’t used it in over a decade and I won’t even consider it these days.
As far as using any *buntu with regularity, I probably did so before that.
WAY back in 2007-2008 I remember getting one of my last 32-bit laptops, a Lenovo T3000 series, and Xubuntu was one of the first distributions I put on it. As far as the buntu variations go, most of the time that would be the one, if any, that I’d use. A long time ago I’d also occasionally use Kubuntu to check out KDE Plasma changes, but these days, if you’re doing that, KDE Neon is the one that provides the true “reference sample” of the latest image. I found Lubuntu not very interesting; for what it offered, which wasn’t much, Xubuntu could offer more with minimal footprint difference (unless you also added a lot of the *-extra packages, in which case it can bloat quickly). I seldom look at or check any of them any more. They’re okay but they are not for me either; it’s not a matter of corporate or private for me, it’s a matter of what they provide and HOW they provide it; the buntu use of metapackages makes it easy to grab them, but compromises flexibility, which definitely impacts my choice of building my software elsewhere.
Then again, if you want something pre-prepared, it may be useful to some people who don’t know, don’t care and don’t want to do any system configuration or management.