Jymm
September 10, 2026, 9:45am
1
Ubuntu developer team announced the default wallpaper for the upcoming Ubuntu 26.10 yesterday, along with the winning images from the wallpaper competition.
As before, the new default wallpaper is made of a purple background with mascot (stingray) in center. Similar to the one for 26.04, it uses a large, curved origami crease in the background.
6 Likes
guiverc
(Chris Guiver)
September 11, 2026, 12:14pm
2
This morning I saw talk about the ubuntu-mate-artwork for stonking (26.10) too.
Neither of Ubuntu Wallpapers or Ubuntu MATE’s show up yet on my terminal searches here, but may in coming day(s).
5 Likes
guiverc
(Chris Guiver)
September 12, 2026, 1:15pm
3
I just noticed being upgraded are a number of packages, including
Get:53 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu stonking/universe amd64 ubuntu-mate-wallpapers-stonking all 26.10.0 [14.8 MB]
Some new shiny for me, as I do like wallpapers.
guiverc@d7050-next:~$ dpkg -L ubuntu-mate-wallpapers-stonking
/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/backgrounds
/usr/share/backgrounds/ubuntu-mate-stonking
/usr/share/backgrounds/ubuntu-mate-stonking/corentin-largeron-lcMquvyTnGQ-unsplash.jpg
/usr/share/backgrounds/ubuntu-mate-stonking/daniel-bettech-CTpSXopl_YY-unsplash.jpg
/usr/share/backgrounds/ubuntu-mate-stonking/fum-bally-snBDNNFotOs-unsplash.jpg
/usr/share/backgrounds/ubuntu-mate-stonking/scott-greer-0k12TAxQigI-unsplash.jpg
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/ubuntu-mate-wallpapers-stonking
/usr/share/doc/ubuntu-mate-wallpapers-stonking/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/ubuntu-mate-wallpapers-stonking/copyright
/usr/share/mate-background-properties
/usr/share/mate-background-properties/ubuntu-mate-stonking.xml
( Only posted as a lot of Ubuntu MATE folks are here, and hoping to keep Ubuntu MATE spirit alive… )
5 Likes