Do you have a website? If so, where do you host it?

Hey, all. I’m wondering who here has a website. I run a blog at unixdude.net, but I haven’t ever been super active there. Mostly it’s for me so that I can remember the things I did, and ideally how I did them – though my posts often leave a lot to be desired for that second part.

Since I’m doing more things (home automation and ham radio lately), I have been posting about those, but I could still post more, since I do more than I post about - haha.

As far as hosting, my mail server and webserver are on 2 separate VMs at DigitalOcean. I have been very happy with their product offering, pricing, and customer service. My mail server runs FreeBSD 12, and my web server runs Ubuntu 20. I need to upgrade both of those, and I have automation to rebuild almost all of the web server config – everything but the WireGuard config. Need to automate that too.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling… hope it is useful to someone. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My personal website is hydn.dev I have not done anything there in a while. It’s hosted about 10 feet away from me in the rack pictured on the website.

1 Like

I have two personal websites. The first one is a personal website hosted on AWS Lightsail. I enjoy using AWS Lightsail because it has a fixed pricing model and everything I need is included (compared with AWS EC2).

The second one is a personal blog that I created using Jekyll. It’s hosted on GitHub Pages and the best part is that it’s completely free. I think it’s a great option for publishing simple web applications.

2 Likes

I have a personal blog that I host with Host Rocket. And I find the hosting provider quietly efficient. I am being charged just $3 monthly for their starter pack. The package gives me unlimited bandwidth, with a 100GB storage. The only drawback is that one can only host one website per time which I still don’t think is bad from my point of view.

1 Like

I host a personal blog and a few sites for friends or my aïkido dojo. Besides this, I also manage my own mail server, a SeaFile instance and a few other services. All of this runs on various VM on a Proxmox server. The hypervisor itself rust on a rented server at OVHCloud (big hosting provider here in France).

1 Like

I am more familiar with OVH Cloud Net hosting for private VPS and development. The purpose is Virtual Image Disk Hosting Panel Linux with dedicated server and pay as you go. They also offer local payment options or functionnalities. The price is lower compared to other hostings.

2 Likes

Hi @saoussen5765 welcome to the forums. OVH is pretty good. I use them as well.

1 Like

I host my personal site on a dedicated vCPU server from Hetzner, using WordPress. My focus is on creating comprehensive tutorials and guides on Linux server management and WordPress. Recently, I wrote guides on Linux security and hardening SSH, and I’m currently working on a guide about managing users on Linux servers securely. My site aims to share experiences. While I used to host it on the LEMP stack myself, I’ve shifted to Runcloud for hosting due to time constraints from my studies and exams. Runcloud also uses the LEMP stack. However, I plan to revert to self-hosting in the future.

3 Likes