Where do you get your servers from?

Since @JustNick made the thread for server back-up solutions, I thought I would ask where everyone gets their servers from. I am curious to see what everyone here uses.

I’ve been a longtime customer of Vultr. I really like the performance of their servers and they have a great selection of one-click apps to install. Snapshots are also a great feature but have been slow to restore at times. Overall good in my opinion.

1 Like

Vultr is a good one but I recently moved to Hetzner for their cheaper prices. The performance is even better but the network might not be quite as good. As of now, I am happy with it but I may try something else in the near future.

2 Likes

Good question! Check out stacklinux.com need an invite or apply for with a high trafficked website but Stacklinux is the fastest of all these others… digitalocean.com, vultr.com, linode.com.

1 Like

Racknerd in California. $28/year for 3vcpu, 3.5ram and 50gb ssd, 7TB bandwidth. :+1:

I got mine on a Black Friday special 2 years ago. Great company and staff.

1 Like

I get mine built for me to my specification and built with Ubuntu - keep Windows away

1 Like

I’ve been a long time user of Linode which has served me well but it is getting a little too expensive now. I am on the $40 plan and the next step up is $80. I am thinking of migrating somewhere else. Looking for 16 gb of RAM for less than $80 - any suggestions?

2 Likes

I have two VMs at DigitalOcean. The other suggestions above are all good ones as well.

1 Like

Take a look at BuyVM. I’ve used them for a few projects and the performance has been great every time. I really like that you get dedicated CPU cores for as little as $15 a month. I think the $45 or $60 plan would be good upgrade for you. You get 12 GB on the $45 and 16 GB on the $60.

1 Like

I discovered Webdock recently and currently use their Ryzen offering. The performance is insanely good for what you pay.

20GB of memory + 20 CPU threads for $20/month is crazy. Though that’s only for the Xeon using LXD, not KVM. Still, it’s pretty great.

1 Like

I was looking into some of these companies and I am more open-minded about trying other options than I was prior to posting this thread. Interesting! I may be needing another server in the near future so I think I may try one of these companies and see how it goes. Great responses everyone!

Yeah, there’s lots of good options out there. I have friends who have VMs and also hosted systems, which I think is cool, but isn’t something I need right now.

1 Like

I still would strongly make a case for Linode because they are veterans in the game of VPS. I have built a certain level of confidence as I feel they are very reliable. All my Linux peeps with a wide range of distributions. And they have a very viable and supportive community.

I occasionally use Linode, DigitalOcean, and AWS Lightsail, but I prefer Hetzner due to their lower prices. Hetzner’s rescue mode has also been a lifesaver.

In my opinion, Hetzner is the ultimate server provider, surpassing others in terms of performance, price, and security. I’ve been using it for years. I’ve tested Vultr, DO, Akamai (Linode), OVH, Contabo, etc., but none compare to Hetzner, which is why I stick with them.

1 Like

Go for Hetzner definitely.