Career: Tips for getting remote Linux related jobs?

Any tips or opportunities for a newbie who is interested in getting into Linux related remote jobs? Please feel free to share your story :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d recommend getting the Linux+ certs and installing Linux so you can get a feel for it too. Then just apply to Linux jobs.

2 Likes

Remote jobs seem to be more common these days but I still don’t see many offering work related to Linux that do not require extensive knowledge. I think getting certification is a wise first step. People looking to hire others want to know they are hiring people that know what they are doing so they don’t waste time. Once you get certified, you can start looking!

I don’t know where you are located but in the US, Florida appears to have the most Linux remote work out there. Many places do require workers to be in office a few days a week however so if you need a 100% remote job, it will be hard to track down. Make use of LinkedIn and Indeed to scope out options and see what is available to match what you are after.

1 Like

One tip I know for sure that would help you land remote Linux jobs is to gain visibility as a Linux professional. That can be achieved by making significant contributions to open source Linux projects that are trending. Try as much as possible to get certifications like Red Hat Certified Engineer.

While doing that, set up a linkedin profile as a Linux professional. Look for Linux based openings on Glassdoor, Monster and the likes. As a Linux professional, you can get job openings as a Cloud Engineer and a Systems Administrator.

1 Like

If you’re interested in improving your skills in Linux administration, there are several freelance websites available such as Fiverr, Upwork, or Freelancer. With these platforms you can offer simple Linux supports that can help you gain more experience in the field. Additionally, working on these projects can give you a better understanding of clients’ needs and help you tackle new issues, which will further enhance your knowledge.

1 Like