85% of all Smartphones are powered by Linux

1 Like

Huh. I never looked into this before but this is pretty fascinating! I had no idea.

I have been waiting for a Linux-powered phone (one that runs stock out the gate) for a few years now. They are not where I want them to be just yet but I am hoping to get one in the near future.

Pine is ok from the reviews on YouTube. I’d love if we could boot full Linux on our phones while docked.

I wouldn’t want to use a Linux distro as a daily phone tho :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::smirk::smirk:

pretty good selection of options to choose from, but the hardware specifications is not on par with current phones. I suppose a good options vs degoolge a pixel phone and put custom roms on it.

Yeah that’s true. I wish somebody on XDA could create a ROM when the phone was docked you’d get a Linux user interface with full kernel access. I’d love to run Docker on my phone. :+1::+1::+1:

To say that the Android OS is based on Linux is not technically accurate. While the Android kernel is based on a highly modified version of the upstream Linux kernel, the majority of the Android OS codebase is written in C/C++, with the application layer using Java & Kotlin. Android is not Linux and Linux is not Android. Android-based smartphones, therefore, are not powered by Linux – they are powered by AOSP Android. Only the Android kernel is based on a modified Linux kernel. The kernel is but a tiny core component of the Android OS as a whole.

Welcome to the forums! :handshake:
“Android is built on the open Linux Kernel.” - Android Overview | Open Handset Alliance

Android Open Source Project / Google: “Android is the Linux desktop dream come true”

Over the years, Android has evolved a lot. Originally based on the Linux kernel; if there was no Linux kernel, there would be no Android in its current form.

That said, what you mention about Android now is true: “the majority of the Android OS codebase is written in C/C++, with the application layer using Java & Kotlin.”

I guess as Linux lovers we like the Linux-connection no matter how distant it have become over the years. :disguised_face:

1 Like

Indeed. I certainly cannot disagree with the basis of your position. As an obviously knowledgeable Linux analyst yourself, you have undoubtedly heard the old “Android is/is not Linux based” a million times. At the end of the day, your position is correct and so is mine. The age-old debate has more to do with semantics than it does technical inaccuracies. Cheers mate and thanks for your input on this.

1 Like