What's your favorite home media server?

As far as I’m aware, most people are using Plex, Jellyfin, or Emby. Which is your favorite?

I recently switched away from Plex to Jellyfin and I won’t be going back. Basic features that are broken in Plex (offline viewing on mobile) just work in Jellyfin. I love the UI as well.

I am currently using Plex although I am not too excited about it. The only thing that stops me moving to one of the others is Plex is accessible anywhere with no extra configuration. With the other 2, I need to learn about reverse proxies, securing my home network, etc. It makes me nervous!

2 Likes

@MadMatt - it’s not as bad as you’d think. I would at least try, it’s a good learning experience.
Another option is using Cloudflare Tunnels. It’s very easy to use, no port forwarding or anything like that. It’s also free.

2 Likes

I don’t have any media server right now but I’ve done some testing with Kodi, which I believe is what Plex was based on/forked from.

What I’m wondering is how you would access your media if you’re not at home, I guess a VPN would be the best choice?

1 Like

I have one of those mini computers set up with my TV and I am working on Jellyfin now. I am still learning how to set things up but it has been fun none the less. Would have been done by now but I have been getting swamped at work recently. I don’t have experience using any other ones yet.

1 Like

I use OSMC. It is lightweight. It’s streamlined interface and very limited uses of resources make it work seamlessly with older hardware. And to cap it all, it has hardware acceleration.

1 Like