What are the major differences between Linux Hosting and Windows Hosting?

I have observed that Linux Hosting has comparatively lower price than Windows Hosting. Maybe the reason is because Linux is open source. Apart from price, what are the major differences between Linux based hosting and windows based hosting. Just because Linux is open source does this make it more vulnerable and less secured? What are the major benefits of Linux based hosting service.

The exact reason Linux is cheaper than Windows is because it is open source. When you open a Windows hosting, you need to pay their license price.

The stereotype that open-source software is less secure is incorrect. In fact, you can say it is more secure because the source code is open to the public and can be tested by many people.

Also, open source doesn’t mean there is no company behind them. For example, Ubuntu is primarily developed by Canonical, and Red Hat Linux is developed by Red Hat.

It is important to remember that the security of a system depends on the knowledge of the administrator. Therefore, I am more concerned about the sysAdmin than the system itself.

So, why I am using Linux?
Because it is Linux!

1 Like

One striking differences between Linux hosting and windows hosting is the software that both are compatible with. Linux shines with PHP and MySQL. Windows hosting works best with ASP.NET. For security, forget that illusion as that can only go as far as proper server administration goes.

That is true, but I also point out that ASP.NET is not used that much anymore. Windows mainly develops and suggests using .NET Core instead of ASP.NET and .NET Core is also open-source and works better at Linux.

So I can comfortably say that all program languages and their frameworks are working better on Linux machines.

ASP.NET is not used much anymore because people install Visual Studio 2022 or other releases and find everything. C# in Visual Studio 2022 is more developped and you could install any plugin however ASP.NET still for limited use means we call about software concurrency.