I have a dell C1100 server with these parts:

2x xeon x5670
96GB ddr 3 reg
2x 2TB NAS drives
1x 240GB SSD
#Modified Coolers for cpu’s#
Placed in an homemade rack

Total noise ~35dB

So it’s built for beeing able to be in the office and not dedicated "server hall":rofl:

I’m currently using Unraid at the moment,and it seems to work well however i want to get the most out of my setup aka backups,programs for the family,maybe some streams etc

Am i on the right track or will something else be better? I know that server can be to much for just NAS,but i got it for like 90USD(used in a server center for 80hrs​:sweat_smile::sweat_smile:)

I also got a dell poweredge 1950 that i need to find a usage for😁 anyone got any ideas?

I like using XPENOLOGY for my back up NAS. Give that a try.

I am tempted to move to TrueNAS scale tho.

1 Like

TrueNAS is probably the best choice and the most common.

ZFS is really robust and will reliably backup your data. Very easy to restore from snapshots as well.

I tried truenas at first but i had great problems with the samba shares “dissapering” or become not reachable…this was however on a RPI4 with truenas and not on this server machine,it was also pre updates to the newer and better version of Truenas.

The name was FreeNas then i think,might give it another go,but is it really better than Unraid?

I know switching discs is easier on unraid,but if you have your setup done already Truenas is great!:+1:

If I was the one running this, I would go for Proxmox VE. It is a free and open source hypervisor that because it can run multiple VMs with it’s ability to isolate workloads. That’s surely improved efficiency. It has support for diverse guest OSes to include Windows, Linux and Mac. I think the C1100’s full capabilities would be maximized with this and you won’t need to get any added hardware.