Ryzen 5 5600X + Pop!_OS: Video Editing Dream Team or Linux Compatibility Nightmare?

I am thinking of getting a getting a computer that I would specifically use for video editing and a little bit of gaming. On my radar is the Ryzen 5 5600X. My key consideration is based on it’s performance given the pricing.

Meanwhile, I am completely new to Pop!_OS. I wanted to find out here the potential workability of this CPU-distro combo. Does anyone know of any issues that might arise with compatibility that I should know beforehand? Any issues with Drivers? Could it possibly overheat? Opinions needed.

1 Like

While CPU is important for overall performance. Fast video editing is greatly GPU dependent. In which case it’s really difficult to beat MacBooks and Mac Minis with their M1 and M2 chips.

Also, software/app support: While it’s possible to setup a video editing system powered by Linux I think unlike say gaming, you will have to go out of your way to achieve on-par performance and app compatibility of MacOS.

Im not experienced in video editing so I welcome correction and really hope that I’m wrong as I also am rooting for Linux. :slight_smile:

great post, if you are using for the video editing and if you are configuring your linux by yourself then ask the supplier to put the cooling on the mount and this will allow for the rapid radiation of the heat vent, which is similar to the recent jet enabled system on mac, which can convert a macbook pro into a arm based performance.

You can read about the cooling on the ram and ask this specifically.

alles gut,
Gaurav

1 Like