I am trying to screencast a browser page from my Debian 11 desktop to a Roku TV so I can display a map for my players (I host a D&D campaign every month). I can do this from my phone (a Samsung S21) with ease, but it is much easier to manipulate the map on a desktop. HDMI also works, but, then…cords…
If possible, I’d like to cast the screen over the air. In Chrome, when I try to cast the page (a web app called Owlbear Rodeo), the TV shows up, but I get a message that casting is only available on “certain video sites.” I’ve tried switching back from Wayland to X11 and using Alfacast and Deskcreen, which did not work (Alfacast needs an app to be installed on the TV, and Deskcreen requires a browser that can go to an IP address). Wondering if anyone has had any success with this kind of situation. Sounds like a long shot, but I thought I would ask!
That’s an interesting setup there. Welcome to the forums.
Alternatively, you can also use the VLC media player to stream your desktop to your Roku TV.
- Open VLC and go to the “Media” menu.
- Select “Open Capture Device”.
- Under the “Capture mode” dropdown menu, select “Desktop”.
- Set the frame rate to 15 fps or higher.
- Click on the “Play” button to start streaming your desktop.
- On your Roku TV, go to the “Settings” menu and select “Screen mirroring”.
- Enable screen mirroring and select your Debian 11 desktop from the list of available devices.
- Your desktop screen should now be mirrored on your Roku TV.
If both methods fail, then it must be another issue.
Oh wow, I did not know that VLC player could do something like that – awesome! I will try it out and let you know how it goes
Yes, the casting to a TV is an idea I stole from someone else. You place the TV screen side up on a table (some people actually build custom tables for this), and then your miniatures stand on top of the screen, on top of your map.
Since Chrome’s built in casting seems to be challenging, one can use the open source version of Chrome which is called Chromium. With Chromium, you would see a. extension called, “Screen Mirror for Chromecast/Roku”. I think it would be easily compatible with your Owlbear Rodeo or Roku TV.
Wow thanks so much for the reply! I’ll try it out