Linux server performance: Is disk I/O slowing your application?

Originally published at: Linux server performance: Is disk I/O slowing your application?

If your Linux server is bogged down, your first step may often be to use the top command in the terminal to check load averages. However, there are times when top shows very high load averages even with low CPU ‘us’ (user) and high CPU ‘id’ (idle) percentages. This is the case in the video…

Knowing how to track down the reason for slowness on a system is a good skill to have. There are many possible causes, and it can be tricky sometimes.

I recently had to check this for my server and sure enough, it was the case. I had thought that it was something I was doing wrong since I recently moved it. Varnish cache is something I have used in the past and I am considering using it again. I don’t want this issue to pop up again.

Good tips here. I took a look at iotop after reading this and it’s very helpful.

What are your suggestions on the IO settings in MariaDB/MySQL? I’m really not sure what to set these to and I can’t find a conclusive answer anywhere.

2 Likes

@coastL Check out this post: MySQL Database Performance: Avoid this common mistake