Launching Firefox Generates a Kernel Message: [drm:radeon 0000:01:00.0] fifo: SCHED_ERROR 0d on Ubuntu

On the Ubuntu 22.04. LTS with an AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT, and a 5. 15 Kernel I use at work, I often encounter this repetitive kernel message anytime Firefox is launched. The Kernel message would pop up on system logs as:

[drm:radeon 0000:01:00.0] fifo: SCHED_ERROR 0d

It doesn’t happen with any other apps apart from Firefox. Is it something that I should be worried about even though it doesn’t affect my browsing experience with the browser? What does the kernel message try to pass as an information? What do I do to stop it from popping up again.

Hey Don11,

This kernel message is related to the Nouveau driver for NVIDIA GPUs, but you mentioned using an AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT, which is interesting. :exploding_head: It seems like there’s a mix-up somewhere, as you shouldn’t be seeing Nouveau messages with an AMD card.

The message itself indicates a scheduling error in the GPU’s command queue, which isn’t critical if it doesn’t affect your usage or performance. However, it’s peculiar that it’s only triggered by Firefox.

A couple of things to consider:

1. Ensure your system is fully updated (sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade). Sometimes, these issues are resolved with the latest kernel and driver updates.
  2. Double-check if there’s any residual or mistakenly installed Nouveau driver configuration. Since you’re using an AMD card, Nouveau shouldn’t be in play.
  3. Try disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox (Preferences > General > Performance) and see if that stops the error. This could isolate the issue to how Firefox interacts with your GPU.
2 Likes

I apologize for the mistake in the original post. It was surely a mix up.

I’m actually using an AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT, so “nouveau” wouldn’t be the correct driver. Thanks for drawing my attention to that error from my end. Thanks for the valuable tips too.

Firefox was in the past a recommanded browser and most of people are using it. Now it is no longer as before. Either Windows or Ubuntu user it doesn’t work as expected. It generates black screen on Windows. It generates console log errors on Ubuntu or Debian or Almalinux. It is better to switch to another browser like Brave Browser if you know it. It could also be a solution to sync your passwords between PC and mobile phone.