Analyze Your Website's TTFB (Time to First Byte)

Originally published at: Analyze Your Website's TTFB (Time to First Byte)Linux Blog

Let’s dive into TTFB. Have you improved the load time of your websites and web applications recently? Or, maybe your web store or other web app is now slower to respond as you’ve added more features or due to data growth? The time it takes for your web applications to respond when users visit is…

1 Like

TTFB for my websites used to be pretty poor.

I recently migrated my server to a provider with better network connectivity and implemented a CDN, this improved the TTFB a lot. I’d love to get the whole website fully HTML cached in Cloudflare as well.

2 Likes

So many people overlook this on their sites and wonder why their traffic is stagnant or even declines. When I was still running a blog, I had huge growth out the gate but it trickled over time and eventually was at 80% what it once was. Had I actually looked into the TTFB for it, I could have probably saved it. Too late now! Was a nice side earner for me for a few years at least.

Cloudflare can help immensely with TTFB, especially if your website doesn’t need to make calls to the database.

I have a static WordPress site served entirely by Cloudflare using their Workers feature. The TTFB and general speed are outstanding.

1 Like

What are the biggest determining factors for TTFB?

My Joomla website isn’t as low as I would hope and I’m wondering how to fix it. Is it the web server or the content on the site? It’s currently running on Apache and the homepage is pretty heavy so I’m not sure where to begin.

1 Like

Is there not a whole topic of PWAs (Progressive Web Apps), for which facilities are built into devtools, which bears some relationship to this topic?

1 Like

Yes you are correct. The article is showing it’s age as it was originally published in 2013. Beyond just updating the existing content I probably needed to amend the article as well with PWA.

Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) can positively impact Time to First Byte (TTFB) through efficient caching strategies and service workers, leading to faster content delivery and improved initial loading times, especially for repeat visits and in low connectivity environments.