Is Puppy Linux the Grand Daddy of Lightness?

Hey guys! So if you’re dealing with a really old PC and not sure what Linux distro to run, give Puppy Linux a try. It’s pretty neat for lower-end systems.

It’s surprising, but Puppy Linux works fine on my old laptop with just 1GB of RAM. Yep, that’s old school for sure, but it gets the job done. The size is around 300MB, and you get to pick which apps you want, so it can get even lighter.

Plus, you can run it off a USB stick.

Thoughts on Puppy Linux being a solid choice for older machines? Are there better alternatives?

1 Like

Puppy Linux is super light, but if you want even lighter, check out Tiny Core Linux (TCL). TCL is tiny, around 11MB for the Core version. It’s much more hands-on, though. Tiny Core Linux

Lighter than Puppy, but expect more manual setup! So, yes, Puppy’s a nice middle ground with ease of use and lightness. Choose based on how much you want to tweak and your hardware. Here’s a summary of memory usage including other options:

1. Puppy Linux: ~100-130MB,
  2. Tiny Core Linux: Core ~11MB, TinyCore ~50MB, CorePlus ~75MB,
  3. SliTaz: Base ~25MB to 100MB,
  4. AntiX: ~75-150MB depending on setup,
  5. Porteus: ~60-100MB depending on modules,
  6. Bodhi Linux : Typically around 100-200MB,

This post is great and if you are just trying out then you use docker such as $docker pull linux image_name and the raw size is less than 10 MB and then you can mount as much storage as you want by adding the node and even swarm much to it.

Gaurav

1 Like

As someone has already mentioned, Tiny Core Linux, it comes highly recommended. Checked out the latest version released this March and it packs just 16MB. It is ideal to run very stably on computers that have RAM lower than 128MB.

1 Like

@Slys thank you and i didnt even know about the puppy linux :smile: . After reading yours, i came to know. I am going to format and install a new os soon on my system.

thank you and have a nice weekend,
Gaurav

1 Like

I think RAM lower than 128 MB is old releases of computer because this doesn’t work perfectly with new system of exploitation that requires 400 MB RAM or more.